The liver plays a key role in the functioning of the whole body. Therefore, it is good to ensure its proper nutrition.
LET’S TAKE A LOOK AT HEALTHY EATING HABITS
The liver likes easily digestible foods that contain little fat. Healthy liver diet should be high in protein and rich in B-complex vitamins. The prepared meals should be fresh and varied. (2) Do not force yourself to eat foods you do not like.
Golden Rules of Healthy Liver Diet:
When to eat?
- Eat 5-6 small meals during the day.
- Try to eat in a relaxed, stress-free atmosphere.
WHAT FOODS AND DRINKS SHOULD BE CONSUMED IN LARGER QUANTITIES?
- The liver diet should be rich in easily absorbed protein
- Suitable sources of easily absorbed protein are poultry, fish, eggs, milk and cheese
- Fats should make up a maximum of 30% of the liver diet
- Animal fat sources need to be reduced in favor of plant resources
- Preferred fat sources include olive oil, sunflower oil and linseed oil
- Carbohydrates should make up of ~40-50% of energy intake
- The following vegetables should be abundant in the liver diet: beets, pumpkins, carrots, cucumbers, peppers, tomatoes, parsley, lettuce, celery
- Avoid vegetables which easy to generate gas include legumes, broccoli, onions, cauliflower, leeks, radishes
- Suitable fruits include peaches, apples, blueberries, raspberries, oranges, strawberries
WHAT FOODS AND DRINKS SHOULD BE CONSUMED IN SMALLER QUANTITIES?
Fatty meat: mutton, bacon, beef brisket, duck, fatty sausages and cold cuts.
There is no room for alcohol and strong teas in the liver diet. Some herbal teas can lead to liver damage. In contrast, black and green tea can help improve enzyme and fat levels in the liver.
HOT AND SPICY DISHES
Avoid spicy foods and spices such as horseradish, mustard, hot peppers and black pepper.
WHAT TO EAT OR DRINK IN SMALLER QUANTITIES?
Fibre is a general term for plant polysaccharides and lignins, which form an indigestible food component. The liver diet basically assumes a reduction in fibre intake because it causes bloating and worsens gastrointestinal symptoms.
Therefore, foods such as whole wheat bread, whole wheat pasta, whole wheat groats and cruciferous vegetables are not recommended in the liver diet. The exception is fat accumulation in the liver: increased fibre consumption in this condition may contribute to the treatment of obesity, which is a risk factor in patients with fat accumulates ion in the liver.
START CARING FOR YOUR LIVER TODAY WITH ESSENTIALE®
LEARN MORE ABOUT WHAT SUPPORTS AND HARMS YOUR LIVER
Jaczewska-Schuetz J. Nutrición en las enfermedades del hígado. http://dieta.mp.pl/diety/diety_w_chorobach/72098,zywienie-w-chorobach-watroby. Fecha de acceso: 10/03/2021
Editorial Literat, Consejo del médico de familia: hígado; https://www.sw.gov.pl/assets/74/85/60/7f47ba721664a364cd57d0f447bf255bfa055ee7.pdf Fecha de acceso: 03/05/2021
Neubauer K. Poniewierka E. Fibra en enfermedades gastrointestinales seleccionadas. Piel. Zdr. Publ. 2013, 3, 3, 299–302 https://www.pzp.umed.wroc.pl/pdf/2013/3/3/299.pdf Fecha de acceso: 10/05/2021